Before you apply for membership, review the below eligibility requirements to become a member of our car sharing community.
- Applicants must be 21 years or older to be eligible for membership; 18 years or older if applying with a college or university partnered with Zipcar.
- Applicants must have a valid driver's license. Learner's permits will not be accepted.
- Applicants will be required to accept the terms and conditions of the member application and member agreement.
- Applicants that possess a non-US based license need to submit a color copy of their driver’s license and passport. Applicants that possess a British Columbia based license need to submit a color copy of their driver's license, a driver's abstract and claims history. These documents can be submitted through the contact form here.
- Applicants in Michigan under the age of 21 must have no major violations (see below), "incidents", or alcohol or drug related violations.
- Excessive speed (20 mph or more over speed limit)
- Operating to endanger, reckless driving, etc.
- Leaving the scene of an accident involving property damage
- Operating a motor vehicle with a suspended or revoked license
- Speeding in a school zone (or similar events)
Learn more about applying to join Zipcar.