As COVID-19 evolves, some Departments of Motor Vehicles have temporarily relaxed their license expiration guidelines to prevent people from coming into physical locations. Accordingly, applicants with recent or soon-to-be expired drivers’ licenses can apply to Zipcar during their states' extension time period.
Before you apply for membership, review the below eligibility requirements to become a member of our car sharing community.
- Applicants must be 21 years or older to be eligible for membership, with some exceptions:
- Applicants may be 18 years or older if applying with a college or university partnered with Zipcar
- Driver's license requirements:
- Licenses must be valid, unexpired, and government-issued
- Licenses without photographs of the driver may warrant the request of additional legal identity documents
- Instructional permits, learner's permits, provisional/probationary licenses, and junior licenses are not accepted
- Photocopied and temporary licenses are not accepted
- Canadian G1 licenses are not accepted
- Restricted licenses of any kind are not accepted
- Non-US licenses may warrant the request of additional legal identity documents
- Applicants in Michigan under the age of 21 must have no major violations or incidents, including:
- Excessive speed (20 mph or more over speed limit)
- Operating to endanger, reckless driving, etc.
- Leaving the scene of an accident involving property damage
- Operating a motor vehicle with a suspended or revoked license
- Speeding in a school zone (or similar events)
- Applicants will be required to accept the terms and conditions of the member application and member agreement
Learn more about applying to join Zipcar.