To be eligible, you must:
- Applicants must be 21 years or older to be eligible for application/membership; 18-20 years old if affiliated with a college or university
- Applicants must have a valid driver's license
- Applicants will be required to accept terms and conditions of the member application and member agreement (stating their driving record complies with Zipcar terms and conditions)
- Applicants that possess a non-US based license need to submit a color copy of their driver’s license and passport. Applicants that possess a British Columbia based license need to submit a color copy of their driver’s license, driver's abstract, and claims history. These documents can be submitted through the article Applying with a Foreign License.
- If you are joining in Michigan and are under the age of 21, no major violations*, "incidents" or alcohol or drug-related violations are allowed.
In addition to the requirements above, Zipcar reserves the right to decline membership based on driving history or credit issues.
*Major violations include but are not limited to the following:
- Excessive speed (20 mph or more over speed limit)
- Operating to endanger, reckless driving, etc.
- Leaving the scene of an accident involving property damage
- Operating a motor vehicle with a suspended or revoked license
- Speeding in a school zone (or similar events)