To get started, make sure you have the following setup:
- You are approved to drive
- Your mobile device is registered
- Location sharing is enabled on your mobile device for the Zipcar app
In select locations only:
Bluetooth is enabled on your mobile device for the Zipcar app.
- To make it easier and faster to unlock with the mobile app, even without a cell signal or internet access, Zipcar is adding Bluetooth technology to our vehicles.
- You will be notified via your trip confirmation email if your location supports Bluetooth.
To unlock a Zipcar with the app:
- Head to the Zipcar you reserved for your trip
- Tap the Unlock icon in the Drive screen of the Zipcar app
- Once the car unlocks, you are ready to begin your trip
Some Helpful Tips
- The keys should remain in the vehicle, so make sure your phone is charged to unlock and lock with the mobile app during your trip.
- Some Zipcars may be quiet, or the lights may not flash, when unlocked with the mobile app. Check the door handle to confirm the vehicle is unlocked.
- If you are booking a trip without your Zipcard, make sure to only book cars and trips where your cell phone will be in range until your Zipcard arrives. Keep your Zipcard handy on all trips just in case you’re in a low signal area or your phone runs out of battery.
- For Zipcars without Bluetooth technology: Your phone must have a cellular signal and be near the car to connect. In case you’re in a low signal area, keep your Zipcard on hand as a back-up option to unlock and lock the car.