- You are approved to drive
- Your mobile device is registered
- Location sharing is enabled on your mobile device for the Zipcar app
Once your trip is ready to begin, the lock and unlock icons will appear in the Drive screen of the app.
To unlock a Zipcar with the app:
- Head to the Zipcar you reserved for your trip
- Open the Drive screen of the Zipcar app and tap the Unlock button
- Once the car unlocks, you are ready to begin your trip
Some Things To Know
- Your phone and the Zipcar must have cellular reception and be within close proximity of the car for the lock and unlock options to appear in the mobile app.
- If you are booking a trip without your Zipcard, make sure to only book cars and trips where your cell phone will be in range until your Zipcard arrives.
- Once you receive your Zipcard, keep it with you on all trips just in case you’re in a low signal area or your phone runs out of battery.
- In select locations only, Zipcar is adding Bluetooth technology to our Zipcar vehicles to make it even easier and faster to unlock our cars with the mobile app, even without a cell phone signal or internet access. You will be notified via email if a Zipcar location you frequent supports Bluetooth.